When you come across writing scholarships or essay scholarships, it is easy for you to get discouraged believing that the competition is tough and that you stand no chance of winning. This is a completely wrong notion. The reason is that although everyone may write fairly well, only a few will be ready to invest the extra effort needed to write exceptionally well. This simple fact makes writing scholarships the best scholarship opportunity for students who are committed and talented enough to compose scholarship-standard essays.
Writing scholarships are often given out on the basis of your verbal abilities. While composing scholarship essays, remember to abide by the rules of grammar and spelling as well as the general tone and structure of the essay. Make your introduction and conclusion stand out. Try to discuss one main idea in each paragraph. It would be great if you can impart a style of your own. However that does not mean going for an overly informal tone unless the given criteria specifies so.
Tips to Help You Succeed
While writing scholarship essays, your main objective must be to convince the selection committee that you are the perfect candidate for the available scholarship. While this is easier said than done, it is not an impossible task to write an excellent essay that will get you the attention you deserve.
Here are some proven tips to compose a great essay:
• Brainstorm before you begin writing: Think of a good topic, generate some compelling ideas, discuss with others and finally create a rough draft of what you plan to write.
• Do not summarize the entire theme in the introduction: Nobody will bother to read through your complete essay if you offer a summary of the essay in the introduction paragraph. The introduction must be intriguing and create a mystery that compels the examiner to read on.
• Be original: The selection committee may review hundreds of essays. So, it is important to make your essay special. It is possible simply by being original and creative in writing scholarship essays. Even the blandest topic can be transformed into an exceptional theme if you adopt an innovative approach. In the essay, emphasize those qualities that are sought after by the particular audience.
• Use vivid language: Clever use of stories and anecdotes will spice up your essay and emphasize the point you wish to make.
• Revise and revise: Remember that there is a word limit on the essays. So use your words wisely. If you find words or expressions that do not blend in with your main argument, simply delete them. Re-order the supporting details and delete all irrelevant sections so that the more important points come into focus.
• Understand your audience: One personal essay will not fit all scholarship applications. Write a new one for every application. Remember to be mindful of the requirements and interests of the particular scholarship council while writing scholarship essays.
Remember, writing scholarships and winning them is actually possible, provided that you put in a bit of time and effort into the writing. The personal essay is obviously the biggest hurdle in a scholarship application. However, if composed well, it will make you stand out from the rest and earn you the scholarship too.