The Asian American population is currently among the fastest growing communities in the America. In fact, Asian Americans constitute around 5% of our population. In addition, Asian American students also have high retention rates in high schools and colleges. This rapid growth of Asian American sectors as well as the need for fair opportunities necessitates setting up of scholarships exclusively for Asian American students. Plenty of Asian American scholarships are available in a wide range of fields today.
With these scholarships, young Asian Americans are able to pursue their career goals and achieve a distinguished position in society. For these students who strive to excel in academics, Asian American scholarships are greatly beneficial since it relieves them of the financial constraints associated with high school and college education.
Numerous Scholarships Available For Asian Americans
Across the United States, there are many colleges and universities that offer scholarship opportunities exclusively to Asian American students. Here are as few of the well-known Asian American scholarships:
• The Asian American Journalists Association gives out plenty of scholarships ranging from $1000 to $5000 for Asian American students interested in pursuing careers in journalism. These scholarships attract many Asian Americans into the media. The qualification for these scholarships is determined on the basis of academic excellence.
• There are attractive law scholarships available for Asian American law students at the University of California-Berkeley’s Boalt Hall.
• The Asian American Librarians Association offers $1000 worth scholarships for Asian American students aspiring to be librarians.
• High school seniors can avail scholarships given out by the Asian American Scholarship Fund.
• Asian American university students can enjoy the advantage of general scholarships like the PepsiCo Hall mark Scholarship.
• If you are an Asian American student seeking financial aid for college education, do check out the generous Asian American scholarships distributed by the Asian and Pacific Islander American Scholarship Fund. Interestingly, about 70% of these scholarships are rewarded to women.
• Another interesting scholarship is the one awarded to law students by the Asian American Bar Association. To qualify for this scholarship, you have to submit an essay on your experiences that have strengthened your commitment towards the Asian American community.
You can apply for such Asian American scholarships at almost all approved colleges and universities within the United States. In addition, there are also many other scholarships for individual colleges that are designated for specific degrees in specific fields.
Basic Criteria For Asian-American Scholarships
Here are the basic eligibility criteria for these scholarships.
If you are interested in applying for Asian American scholarships, you must be:
• Of Pacific or Asian heritage
• At least 16 years old at the time of application
• A permanent resident or citizen of the United States
• About to commence full-time study at any accredited educational institution
You must also demonstrate:
• Excellent academic abilities with a GPA of 3.3 or higher
• Outstanding leadership skills in extracurricular activities
• Interest in public service or community involvement
• A genuine requirement for financial need
All scholarship amounts are forwarded directly to your college. However, remember that the scholarship does not cover internet courses, correspondence courses or study in any other country outside the United States.